Thursday, July 5, 2012

Brilliant Ideas, Fireworks, and Rattlesnakes!


July, 4th, America's birthday.  A day spent with family, friends, and watching fireworks amongst strangers sprawled out under the night sky with a blanket claiming your spot, and another blanket claiming another family's next to you, and then another, and another, and another, and so forth.  As you turn and look in all four directions of your blanket, you realize you are surrounded by a sea of blankets - and you can't get out!

To battle against this elbow to elbow sea of blankets, we decided to hike up to Half Moon Rock and watch the fireworks.   It'd be perfect!  We'd have the best view around.  We'd have the entire valley before us, we would see firework displays from Farmington to Pleasant View to West Haven, as well illegal ones too. Best of all, we'd be the only ones around - bonus!


We began our hike at dusk. The weather was just about perfect. The sun's rays weren't beating down, heating the trail as well as our bodies, a steady whispering wind attempted to keep us cool, there was just enough light at this point that we didn't need our headlamps. Ahh it's a magical time of day.

In our sweat induced exhaustion we'd stop every few steps to catch a glimpse of the valley below us. Then one of us would try to convince the others that this resting spot would be perfect, there's no need to go further up.  However, we knew that the view awaiting us would be unbelievable from atop the jutted rock.

We continue on the double wide trail until we reach the bottom of Half Moon Rock.  In order to get on top of Half Moon Rock, one needs to climb the steeper (I swear it's 90 degrees straight up) single trek trail that is rutted with loose slippery stone.  You have to decide to climb in the slippery stone rut with it's multiple roots to help you, or you take the top of the rut where there's no roots to help you get your footing as well as no rocks to take you on a ride right back down!  We decided to take the rut, it looked to be easier in allowing us to start and stop as many times as we'd need to.

Super Shep, that's our dog, is leading the way right up the side of the rock.  I'm right behind him, followed by my husband, and then our daughter (who is such a champ to keep going when it's late and her legs hurt).  I'm slowly placing one heavy lead filled foot in front of the other, when I swear on my mother's grave, Shep stands up on his back two paws and jumps backwards and is standing next to me!

In astonishment, I look up to see what's going on with Shep (I think he may have still been on his two hind paws).  What do I see about 5 feet right in front of me!  The BIGGEST rattle snake (partially coiled up and shaking his rattler in anger) that I've ever encountered in the wild!  I grab Shep, who may have finally got back down on all 4 paws, and quickly walk away backwards.  Now mind you this isn't the type of trail that you could go down backwards, but somehow I did.  As I'm magically stepping backwards, I'm loudly cautioning - 'Rattler straight ahead!'
At this advantage point we are about 20 feet away.
Notice the snake on the right of the trail.
Take a look at the slick ravine in the middle - that'll be important later.

My brave girl, in disbelief, stops dead in her track. Then her nature loving inquiry takes over as she moves forward a bit to take a closer look. For fear of her turning into rattler food , my husband and I sternly tell her go back where she was.

The various other times that I've ran into a rattler, they usually move along once they know they aren't in danger. Then I'm able to also move along when I know I'm no longer in danger as well. It's nature's win -win.

We wait for the giant rattler to move along so we could pass and take our position on top of the rock. Nope, not a chance. This huge sucker just freakin laid there like, 'this is my trail - go get your own'. We waited for a few minutes longer hoping he'd change his mind - nope he's still claiming it.
Here's the same view point, just a close up of the HUGE snake

In my brilliance, I thought I'd try to startle the rattler back off of the trail. I started to throw small rocks close to it to get it move away. Nope didn't faze him, he didn't even slither his tongue at us. I then decided that those rocks must've been too small, so I got me some bigger ones to throw close to him. Still didn't bother him! Well if one rock doesn't do the trick, then more rocks that land in the bushes next to him otta work (see how close those buses are)! I then grabbed three big rocks, and threw them into the bushes right next to him - Yep that did it!

Suddenly, without any warning this huge ass snake is slipping down the slippery rocks in the ravine - and he's ANGRY! He's shaking his rattler, and on a collision course with Super Shep and I.  I see the snake slipping out of control, over rocks, bringing a rock slide of rocks with him (check out the ravine on the 1st pic). He can't get a grip onto anything, which just makes him madder, and boy is he BIG!

I scream, "He's coming down - go!"

Super Shep takes to running like he's full of grace and can maneuver over and around anything. [Have I mentioned this dog quite often misses steps at home, falls on his face, or runs into the wall full force? It's rather entertaining to watch!] Shep, in his new found grace, leaves me in the dust as if to say, 'hehe you're gonna be snake food, not me'!

Super Shep maneuvers his way right to down to Ireland.  In her fear, she grabs a hold of him - and off they go!  In super flash speed and grace, Super Shep whisks her down the steep slope.  If I were a bettin gal, which I am, I'd bet you all that Super Shep carried Ireland saddle style down on his back to safety!

Here we are, in safety, with Super
Shep peeking between us as we
wait for the fireworks to start.
Once down the steep hill, we decided, unanimously, that one of those nice flat spots we saw earlier down the trail would be just perfect to watch the fireworks from.

Just in case you were wondering, we all made it back home, including Super Shep with out being bitten!  Here's some great pics of the valley and the fireworks that we saw.
What a view!
This pic is of North Ogden's fireworks

In retrospect, I think next time I run into a rattler on top of a slide, or steep slope, I'm not gonna  throw rocks at it when I'm waiting at the bottom. I think I'll just let him have the slide. :)





This pic is cool cause you can see
two different cities' fireworks
at the same time
This is the very next shot where
both cities are on display


No comments:

Post a Comment