Sunday, July 22, 2012

Changing the View Looking Back at Me

The other day I heard a great suggestion that has changed the view looking back at me - literally.

Through running miles and miles and miles, I have been blessed with the ability of deep concentration and focus - Yes Dad it finally happened! However when I'm in the 'zone' my facial muscles relax, thus creating this look on my face of pure pissy-ness.

I have this natural upside down arch in my lips that make me look angry when I'm not smiling (I so wish they were naturally full and kissable like my sister Rebekah). Yes, genetics really pulled the dice on this one! I'm naturally a positive, upbeat person who enjoys conversing with others, however people will avoid me because I look so darn mean and angry when I'm focused.

This natural pissy-ness look also carries it way into my new best friend - the mirror.  When I look at myself in the mirror, I took angry and then Sheila (remember her, the mean witch in my mind) takes this moment and sneaks her way back onto her throne of lies and rude comments.

As soon as Sheila has taken her place, I suddenly start picking out all the 'flaws' on my face and body.  There's nowhere safe from her nit picking, negative B.S.   Suddenly my great mood has turned - now, I really am pissy!

What a jerk Sheila is, just going about ruining my day!

Well, I heard thee BEST piece of advice from Julie Parker during an interview with The Self Love Revolution hosted by Amy Smith and Andrea Owen (this is totally a life changing revolution and one that I suggest every woman should be a part of.  You can still get their audios to also change your life for the better by clicking here).  Sorry got a bit off topic...
Julie Parker gave a tip that totally changed how I look at myself in the mirror.  It's such a simple, yet effective tool:

SMILE! 


Smile at yourself in the mirror. Each and every time you see your reflection anywhere, smile! Just start out smiling at your self. Smile at yourself as you walk by until you are no longer able to see your self in the mirror.
I have to admit, I felt a bit silly doing this at first.  I found it was a difficult thing to do, to be so nice to myself, especially when I've been so mean for so long.  Habits take a while to change.  They need to be replaced with better ones, like smiling at yourself in the mirror.

The first week I totally felt cheesy.  Sheila loved to mock me when I started, I kept smiling though.  Slowly Sheila took note, and started becoming small and disappear into her dark underworld.  At the end of the first week, I finally got over the silly-ness feeling.  

During the 2nd week, I noticed that I mentally started to feel better about myself each time I smiled at me.  Soon I found I was smiling more then ever before, and the world smiled back through the mirror.

Now I'm in the 3rd week, and holy smolly - does this tip work!  I found myself feeling a bit down, due to a loss in the family.  With my mind elsewhere I forgot to smile at myself one morning.  I walked out of the bathroom, stopped, I had this feeling like I forgot something.  I turned around, went back into the bathroom, looked at myself and smiled!  

I looked right at my myself and smiled, a true cheesy, just gotta be me smile.

Imagine my surprise when I iimmediately felt better, more calm, and refreshed.   (I did stop prior to the moment where I should point at myself in the mirror, while winking, followed by a 'looking sexy now baby' comment.  I kind of felt that would've taken it a bit to far, at least for a beginner like me.)
To smile at my reflection and mean it
I suggest you try it.  Smile at yourself like you do your best friend. Tell me how it goes after you've been doing this for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment